Other Great Freeware Games

Talk about other games (be they freeware, indie or commercial!)
Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony »

Not so long ago, I've come across a beautiful platform game called Stardust. It has a very unostentatious design, no music, no background images, repetitive level optics and only some simple sound effects. Still I hardly know a game that feels so magic to play. So different. So relaxingly. No optical/acoustical/functional orgy, just plain platforming/puzzling with some star dust twinkling in the dark. And still nowhere near boring but pretty challenging after passing the first five levels.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi »

Anyone found any good stealth/ninja games lately? (I dunno why but I like them and only found about two or three)

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach »

Have you played any of the Thief series? Not free, but just thought I'd mention them; they're a lot of fun.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony »

Played first and second part. Was very impressed by the first one back in 2000. Lost interest afterwards though, because I'm not really on stealth games. Oh well, SC Pandora Tomorrow excluded, of course.

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony »

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

For those of you who've not yet seen (and you'd be forgiven, given how hidden away the release is on the official site!), Nifflas, author of the rather lovely little game Within A Deep Forest has recently released another cute little platformer, called simply Knytt.

...A quick note: this guy has almost single-handedly - with a little help from the creator of Seiklus, mentioned above - managed to change my opinion on "game creation kit" (or "klik") games entirely. I used to avoid them like the plague, since the introduction of GCKs sparked an epidemic to break out across the freeware world of poor-quality games made by brainless gimboids. But Nicklas Nygren is a perfect example of someone with genuinine artistic ability using them to create some really beautiful work, with great presentation and lots of the kind of attention to detail that marks a really superb game.

So... If you're like me and you've always maintained a highly narrow-minded view of "klik" games, go play Knytt and I promise it'll change your opinion entirely. :)

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony »

Well, Multimedia Fusion is not exactly like Game Maker or Game Factory or what they're all called like. It's probably the most sophisticated GCK you'll find. And seemingly the most expensive, so these "gimboids" will most likely avoid it ;)

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony »

"Mech Commander" and "Mech Commander 2", two sophisticated RTS games settled in the battletech universe and developed 1998 and 2001 by FASA Interactive, have been liberated and are now freely avaible:

http://www.mechcommander.org/downloads.html

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi »

Meh, no ones posted a MMOFPS game on here for a while, so I'd like to introduce...

SPACE COWBOY ONLINE
Please dont hate it for the funny name, its fun!

Anyways, farther away from childish that the name implies, its a fully 3D spaceshooter, but not very many maps are in space. Most are on the ground, though there are I think 2-3 maps in space. There are also boundries on each map. Anyways, this game has RPG elements and is fully online with multiple ships ("Gears"): Clans ("Brigades"), parties ("Formations," and these are awesome. Hit F2 by your formation leader, and you literally get in a formation, ex. the leader controls where you fly when your next to him, doubling your powers!), the works you expect from a MMORPG. But the fighting is FPS-style, and more fastpaced than a MMORPG. There are tons of skills, gear-specific most of them, and are usually awesome. Each gear has an ability it seems. There are four Gears, each very different. List:

A-Gears: The tank-style Gear. Slow. But can land ANYWHERE as opposed to others who can only land at supply shops and cities. These guys are much different than any of the others, as their shooting is different. The least used it seems, probably for the speed.

B-Gears: The bomber gear. At a level, they can bomb down, and shoot bombs ("Air Bombing," it's a skill). I don't know much about 'em, but they are 2nd most used.

I-Gears: These are almost always used. They are considered the "sniping" gear, though I havent noticed anything sniper-ish about them. Their special move is Frenzy, which increases strength for a while. They are also the fastest, with I believe (once using proper parts) are the fastest, at 500 MPH or so. These are used the most, so I don't particularly like to be the one thats common, so I don't know much. :P

M-Gears: My gear. The only support gear in the game. Slowest to level. In the Korean version, they have the coolest weapon I have ever seen - the Hydrogen Cannon. Look for some screenshots, and be awed. Biggest beam I've ever seen. I am waiting for it in the english version. Anyways...some skills: They heal health and shields. They buff attack, def, and evasion. They can (at level 35) summon people in a formation (DANG, I want this...I'm at level 20). At level 40, they can, keeping all their current speed, fly backwards...good for PvP. These probably come in 3rd most used, almost 2nd maybe. Again, if you choose this gear, SLOW leveling...
That's all the Gears.

Quests: these are missions. There are 3 types:

Scenerio, which give items, EXP, or bonus stats, and money ("SP"), or any combination of these. They usually are your primary source of leveling (for me anyways...), as the EXP can get you at 50% quickly.

Standard, which usually are killing like 50 of a monster, take a while, and only give SP.

Story, these are hard to make avaliable. I've never unlocked one yet!

Last but not least: Nations. There are two nations, which matter greatly, as your WHOLE ACCOUNT is with the nation. You pick a nation at level 11, it is the mission turning point. There is no objective but to click a button. The two are:

BCU: the..err...main poeple or whatever. Dunno much.
ANI: The rebel dudes. I am part of this Nation, so please choose ANI if you want to play with me. :P
Undecided: When you haven't completed the mission turning point, and requires all missions for undecideds done, and level 11. I suggest starting by just shooting stuff down to get the flow of it, then do missions soon as possible. They really help your exp. Undecideds cannot trade.

And there are Nation wars. These are hectic. Each Nation has PvP with the other, forcedly. If you see someone from the other nation in your territory, he can attack. And you can attack back. There are also Motherships, that are the main attack thing. The whole goal is to kill the others MS. Winning a nation war also opens maps specifically for your nation. :)

Oh yeah! I forgot weight! If your loadage is over 70% or so, you use double fuel. If it's over 80%, you can't boost (Which is spacebar...boosts you 50MPH+ or so).

And there are thousands (or so it seems :P) items, changable in the factory, which works like upgrading items with recourse items. Theres armor, which upgrades at 15, then every 10 levels. Armor increases shields and health, and you'll hardly believe how much when your level 15 and put it on...But be ready for the weight change...and uh, once you are i na nation, you can't go back to the undecideds place. So if you have friends, have them start at the same time you do. :P

Theres a tutorial that covers most of the control-learning, so don't be afraid of the layout. :)

Well...the problem for most: it's 1 GB. :| I just left it on over night though. Try it if you like space shooters. Linkage: http://sco.gpotato.com (By the makers of FlyFF). Also note that there are about 300 MB of patches. :| Highly recommend fast connection. I have a fairly slow connection, and I pull my hair out when it has to patch. But it's worth it to me. :)

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach »

What server are you on? I just now made one on Trimus.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi »

Oop, Hovernmus...or something. Middle one. :|

And lvl 30 :D

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach »

Oh well :P
-Stephen Hawking

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

For those of you who've so far missed it, Ben Croshaw has recently released the fourth installment of his Trilby series, entitled 6 Days A Sacrifice. I don't think it needs any more introduction than that, for those of you who've played the previous games in the series. ;)

The game is, of course, available at Fully Ramblomatic.

Oh, and also, I've just started playing the long-awaited English translation of the already highly acclaimed Japanese platformer La-Mulana (available here), which, although not helped by the lack of any kind of in-game instructions or tutorial, so far seems quite fun. :)

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

...For those who like their genres shaken (not stirred), here's a another really rather nice game: Invalid Tangram.

Tetris meets Space Invaders. B)

Edit: damn, this game is addictive. I quite regularly seem to die at level 47... I'm becoming determined to make it to at least level 50! :P

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

My fourth post in a row... Is anybody else still following this thread? :P

Those of you who mentioned the shareware Crimsonland elsewhere in this forum may be interested in a freeware game which is similar in style, and from my experience so far, seems very nice. :)

It's called NAAC and is available from Bloody Monkey.

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi »

Invalid Tangram is amazing, one of the best freeware games in a long while - the installer almost being less space than Noctis. Great find. :)

(It's going on the school computer for sure, this one...)

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

For anyone who's a fan of Afterlife - or anyone else for that matter! - I can thoroughly recommend Fallen Angel Industries' A Game With A Kitty, and its sequel, A Game With A Kitty 2: Darkside Adventures, currently available from their author's personal site, since the company's own page is under renovation. They're really great platformers with an "unlock things and then go back and find how to solve things to collect secrets in other levels" style of gameplay which will be familiar, I'm sure, to people on these forums... ;)

Oh, and there's also a superb point-and-click adventure available from the same author called Reactor 09, which you also absolutely must play - it has lovely graphics, great characters and plot, and a near-perfect balance of puzzles. :)

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz »

http://www.cortexcommand.com

What you get when you replace the worms in Liero with robots, and add realistic physics.
"In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well, they can, but it's
really muffled."

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

Dalboz wrote:http://www.cortexcommand.com

What you get when you replace the worms in Liero with robots, and add realistic physics.
That looks awesome... :)

It's still in development, though, by the looks of it.

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz »

lots of material to play around with in the their forums, too.
really muffled."

Ryan
RjB Software

Re: Other Great Freeware Games

Post by Ryan »

Darthlupi is behind quite a few games, but the one you absolutely must check out is The Cleaner...

Simply Beautiful. :)

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach »

Yeah, I loved The Cleaner

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz »

One of the few freeware RTS games out there, Gate 88 is similar to (and inspired by) the Megadrive game Herzog Hwei.
http://www.queasygames.com/gate88/index.html

It has multiplayer, so if anyone wants to play online...
really muffled."

Filseld2000
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Filseld2000 »

I still have a (large) soft-spot for Civ2. Fine, it isn't actually free, but hey, i'd just thought i'd mention it anyhow!!
relax, we understand j00