Evowok Breeder - out now! (update: v4.0.1)

News and updates about Evowok Breeder - please post any version-specific feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas or bug-reports in the appropriate (or latest) release thread here!
Ryan
RjB Software

Evowok Breeder - out now! (update: v4.0.1)

Post by Ryan » May 22nd, 2017, 5:53 pm

I'm very pleased to be able to finally present the first release of super-long-term work-in-progress roleplaying game Evowok Breeder, which is now available to download! :)

This project has been in development since around 2005, and I know that some reading this may have been waiting for quite a long time to see the finished game. As always, it simply wouldn't have been possible without the help and support of a lot of people, and even more so in this case than with any other game I've yet worked on, so this announcement also comes with huge thank-you to everyone who's helped and contributed towards the game since the beginning - and in particular to the game's excellent and talented artist Sjoerd Klinkenberg, who has put a huge amount of work into the game's graphics over the last twelve years. For those interested, full credits are available to view here or in-game. :)

Literally hundreds of hours have been spent playtesting the game over the last year or so, but of course with a game as large as this, there are bound to be some issues remaining in this first release, so if you should encounter anything that doesn't work in some way, sorry, and please do let me know! :)

Otherwise, please enjoy, tell your friends, and of course please do feel entirely as welcome as always to post below with any further thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions.

Have fun... And good luck, breeder. ;)

Ryan

CryptRat
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Re: Evowok Breeder - out now!

Post by CryptRat » May 22nd, 2017, 9:23 pm

Hello,

Congratulations for releasing this game, I can't wait to play it.

I think I need your help, maybe I'm missing some very obvious thing and in that case I'm sorry.
After the introduction, I only see my character on a black screen and then the game crashes with this message :
breederError.png
breederError.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
I'm using Windows 7, feel free to ask for more information which could be relevant.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » May 22nd, 2017, 10:25 pm

Ah, just worked out what caused that, and it's a last-minute bug that managed to sneak in somehow when compiling the installer. D'oh. It's now fixed and a v4.0.1 update is available.

For anyone who's had this issue, once you've installed the update, just start a new character and all should be well.

Thanks for reporting. :)

Ryan

CryptRat
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by CryptRat » May 22nd, 2017, 10:51 pm

Thanks a lot, it works fine now.

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » May 23rd, 2017, 12:41 am

I haven't been on the forum since 2012, but when I saw this in my RSS feed, I had to come download it. Congrats on getting this to release :D
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » May 23rd, 2017, 1:48 am

My first impressions (first several minutes):

I'm enjoying the music.

The font seems a little strange to me, in that some of the lowercase letters look a lot like uppercase ones (u and p being good examples.)
I think the reason for this (from a layman font design point of view) is that, while there is an upper area for the caps letters to extend into, there is now lower area for tails to dangle into.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but combined with the fixed width, it does give me a sense almost as if it were made on a printing press by an inexperienced or rushed operator.

When I first saw a character talk, I was slightly startled, but also amused and nostalgic.

First thing I did once I got in control of my character was to get drunk, spend all my money, and mooch some starter money off of my friend.
I should probably go get my starting Evowok.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » May 23rd, 2017, 8:10 am

Qabach wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 12:41 am
I haven't been on the forum since 2012, but when I saw this in my RSS feed, I had to come download it. Congrats on getting this to release :D
Thanks - nice to see you again. :)
Qabach wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 12:41 am
I should probably go get my starting Evowok.
Good luck. :)

Ryan