Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson v1.8 released!

News and updates about Afterlife 3: Legends Of Rickard Bronson - please post any version-specific feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas or bug-reports in the appropriate (or latest) release thread here.
Ryan
RjB Software

Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson v1.8 released!

Post by Ryan » February 14th, 2014, 8:06 pm

So, a little something special for the weekend!

Following on from the v1.7 release earlier this month, I'm very pleased to be able to announce the release of Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson version 1.8 - another major update featuring further new content and gameplay revisions, new bosses, improved game balancing, at least one powerful new artefact to aid adventurers on their quests, updated menus and interfaces, and even a useful new unlockable feature! ;)

As always:

Download: www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/download
Changelog: www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/history

Thanks as ever to everyone who's been kind enough to comment and make suggestions since the last update, and of course, please do feel very welcome to post below with any further thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions!

Have fun! :)

Ryan

fruity
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Re: Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson v1.8 released!

Post by fruity » February 25th, 2014, 4:01 am

---------------------------
Unexpected Error!
Oh no! Afterlife 3 encountered an error (#6)! Please report this information to the author (CTRL+C to copy this message) at:

http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/forum

Thank you!
Aceptar

While playing Perils of Brother Raymond, 50k+ score, chapter 10 I think? I was in Fire Fortress, and had aborted the mission (which consisted in killing a few ballrogs), but I ran out of oxygen before getting back to the Sanctum menu. Instead of going to the Game Over screen the game crashed. Oh, I also was wearing an Ankh Pendant, and -of course-, I had quite a few traits, if that's of any help.

By the way, the game's been giving me an error when trying to connect to the server, is the score server down or is it just me? do you have any idea what could be causing this?

I just downloaded 1.8 after not playing since quite a few updates ago and I really love all the work you've done. Gratz man, I can see you've put a lot of effort and love in this game!
Last edited by fruity on February 26th, 2014, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruity
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by fruity » February 25th, 2014, 10:25 am

A really tiny detail I just remembered: in missions where you have to rescue members/corpses of the order, sometimes the mission briefing comes up with names which repeat the word "brother" two times, e.g: Brother Brother Anthony

Edit:
Sorry, I probably should be editing the same post instead of submitting new ones so,

So... the game got stuck while loading act twenty-four. Not nice at all; I had unlocked a hell lot of achievements, not to mention this was the first time I had finished the thirteenth realms and I didn't get to see what was the new feature I unlocked. Either way, the game was getting pretty tedious by now and there was no way I could lose since, well, Raymond seems pretty unbalanced. Once you get past the first few realms you start getting pretty powerful by accumulation of traits, and if you get an Ankh Pendant+Aegis Talisman like I did (which by the way, I don't you should be able to have both equipped at the same time, and this probably applies to other equipable items too), then it seems nothing can stop you anymore, even toxic fumes levels get pretty easy, though I must say I'd have lost at one of these at around act 10 if it wasn't because I was carrying one of those ankhs which resurrect when you die.

Either way, these are just a few thoughts about Perils of Brother Raymond, which is the adventure I've been playing the most lately since I've just unlocked him, I haven't been using Rickard much since the update, but I guess he's much better balanced since (I guess) you must be putting much more attention on him

Oh, I also found a pretty simple, exploitable bug: Now that items get dropped instead of discarded, when you drop the sack of plenty and then pick it up again its content changes.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » February 28th, 2014, 11:48 pm

fruity wrote: While playing Perils of Brother Raymond, 50k+ score, chapter 10 I think? I was in Fire Fortress, and had aborted the mission (which consisted in killing a few ballrogs), but I ran out of oxygen before getting back to the Sanctum menu. Instead of going to the Game Over screen the game crashed.
Ah, sorry - crashes late in the game are always annoying. But thanks for the detailed error report! I'll investigate.
fruity wrote: By the way, the game's been giving me an error when trying to connect to the server, is the score server down or is it just me? do you have any idea what could be causing this?
Hmm... Is this a general issue, or just in a particular game mode? (I guess you've checked your firewall settings, etc.?)
fruity wrote: A really tiny detail I just remembered: in missions where you have to rescue members/corpses of the order, sometimes the mission briefing comes up with names which repeat the word "brother" two times, e.g: Brother Brother Anthony
Ah, good spot, and thanks for mentioning - I'll fix this in the next update. :)
fruity wrote: Sorry, I probably should be editing the same post instead of submitting new ones
Actually, that's not always the case, as making a second post is often really useful to make sure that a new post to a thread has been noticed, especially if there's been some time since the last post. :)
fruity wrote: So... the game got stuck while loading act twenty-four. Not nice at all; I had unlocked a hell lot of achievements, not to mention this was the first time I had finished the thirteenth realms and I didn't get to see what was the new feature I unlocked.
Ah, sorry about that. As you mention, the game hanging is actually even more annoying than a crash, as it means that your new achievements aren't saved. :tch:

The other annoying thing in this case is that the adventure log won't have a story-code for the level which caused the bug, so it could be hard for me to track it down (I've made a note to myself to change this in the next update to make it easier to find things like this in future, but of course that doesn't help in this case!)

Do you know which Zone you were in, and which Act (was it a boss, or the first Act, etc.)?
fruity wrote: Either way, the game was getting pretty tedious by now and there was no way I could lose since, well, Raymond seems pretty unbalanced.
I did worry that might be the case, and for the exact reason you mentioned: I've put a lot of effort into balancing Rickard in this version, but much less so with Raymond, partly because so few people seem to be playing with him at the moment (at least judging by the scoreboards!)

I'll certainly give some further consideration and playtesting to balance him better in future. :)
fruity wrote: Oh, I also found a pretty simple, exploitable bug: Now that items get dropped instead of discarded, when you drop the sack of plenty and then pick it up again its content changes.
Ah, good find! :P

(I'll make sure that's fixed in the next update too!)
fruity wrote: I just downloaded 1.8 after not playing since quite a few updates ago and I really love all the work you've done. Gratz man, I can see you've put a lot of effort and love in this game!
Thanks - that's always really nice to hear! And thanks for all the bug-reports! ;)

Ryan