Afterlife v1.6 released

News and updates about Afterlife: Rickard's Quest - please post any version-specific feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas or bug-reports in the appropriate (or latest) release thread here.
Ryan
RjB Software

Afterlife v1.6 released

Post by Ryan » October 22nd, 2006, 3:14 pm

Hello all! :)

Well, this is probably fairly surprising news to most of you, but RjB Software is today proud to announce the release of Afterlife v1.6.

The main reason for an update was to fix an issue which has been observed recently causing some system configurations not to be capable of switching to the 320x240x32 resolution in which the game previously ran, giving the unpleasant effect of having the game run in a small window in the top left of the screen.

In order to ensure that all players of Afterlife's upcoming sequel are also able to play the original game, as of this release, Afterlife runs in 640x480x32, which seems to be a more fully supported resolution.

However, while making such a large change, I couldn't resist making a whole variety of other improvements, so this is an update that's well worth getting even for anyone who had no problems with running v1.5.1 - a full list of changes is available in the usual place.

Special thanks for this release go to these forums' Balloony, who was kind enough to do some testing to ensure that everything was working correctly before this release. B)

As always, if you have any comments, questions, or other discussion, please post below! :)

Regards,
Ryan

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony » October 22nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

Special thanks for this release go to these forums' Balloony, who was kind enough to do some testing to ensure that everything was working correctly before this release
Nothing to thank about, it was a honour for me to enjoy especially that amazing graphical improvement provided by the parallaxed backdrops at first place!

Now hurry back to Evowok and Afterlife II and don't let us starve for too long ;)
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » October 25th, 2006, 6:25 pm

One thing I notice right off is that you called the training zone "Technodeath"

So hey, while you're fixing that, you might as well make act names show when the act is highlighted.

And while you're doing that, you could add 3 more realms.

Obviously I'm joking at this point, but the training zone does really appear as "technodeath" on my computer. Not an urgent problem, but something to be aware of.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » October 25th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Qabach wrote:One thing I notice right off is that you called the training zone "Technodeath"

So hey, while you're fixing that ...
Not a bug. ;)

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony » October 25th, 2006, 8:33 pm

I suppose the training zone is an insular safety sector in the Realm of Technodeath. There is a similarity between the new training wall texture and the Technodeath wall texture.
you might as well make act names show when the act is highlighted
I also thought of that, but then, it's not a big deal to hit Enter if you're sitting on a act, isn't it? ;)

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz » October 27th, 2006, 11:23 am

hey, I'm back! (exams)
nice work, by the way. :applause:
"In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well, they can, but it's
really muffled."

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » October 31st, 2006, 2:12 am

Yeah, Balloony; I was just trying to think of things. I'm so tired lately that just about anything I say online is questionable; I only get a chacne to check on forums and the like once in a while, and usually at night :)
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Cryoburner
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Cryoburner » November 2nd, 2006, 10:11 am

The move to 640x480 resolution is a welcome change. I was also having an issue with 320x240 mode ever since I replaced my nonfunctional 9800 Pro with an x1600 Pro earlier this year. In my case, the image appears horizontally stretched in the center of the display, and there's no obvious way to adjust it to properly fill the screen. It's a 19 inch CRT, and the resolution worked before, so the problem is likely related to some small incompatibility with the video card.

As an added bonus, my monitor only refreshes 320x240 mode at 75Hz, while it can do 640x480 at 160Hz, which is very easy on the eyes. I generally prefer refresh rates of at least 85Hz, which the monitor is capable of at my desktop resolution of 1360x1024.

One thing to note about the resolution change though, is that there are some 640x480 effects on screen with the 320x240 art, which can sometimes look a bit disjointed. I suppose it's only a minor issue though. Another odd change is that the balloon on the ending screen is double sized, unlike everything else on-screen. The ending balloon was smaller in prior versions, being the same 640x480 resolution as everything else.

Anyway, thanks for the update! I played a bit tonight, and completed some more Suicide Mode acts in Firestone Realm. I also agree that displaying the titles of unlocked acts when they are highlighted would be nice. : )

Balloony
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Balloony » November 2nd, 2006, 11:33 am

Qabach wrote:Yeah, Balloony; I was just trying to think of things. I'm so tired lately that just about anything I say online is questionable; I only get a chacne to check on forums and the like once in a while, and usually at night
It wasn't meant as subtle critisim ;)
Cryo wrote:One thing to note about the resolution change though, is that there are some 640x480 effects on screen with the 320x240 art, which can sometimes look a bit disjointed. I suppose it's only a minor issue though.
This is not an issue. I pointed that out while beta testing and Ryan told me, he deliberately left the effects to be displayed in VGA.