Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.9.1

News and updates about Afterlife: Rickard's Quest - please post any version-specific feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas or bug-reports in the appropriate (or latest) release thread here.
Ryan
RjB Software

Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.9.1

Post by Ryan » February 6th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Hello all. :)

I've just released a small update to Afterlife: Rickard's Quest, fixing a bug which prevented the "Record Replay" key from being customised.

Of course, if you have version 1.9.0 and you're happy with the default key configuration, you probably don't need to worry about updating, but for anyone who wanted to use that "R" key for something else, hope you have fun with the new version! :P

Of course, version 1.9.1 can be downloaded from the usual place.

Ryan

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Afterlife Save Files

Post by Qabach » December 15th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Hmm, I can't figure out where Afterlife is keeping it's save data. (looked in Afterlife/ADat/Sav)
I know that I had backed up and re-used save files before, but maybe that was in a different version.
If anyone has ideas, let me know.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Ryan
RjB Software

Re: Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.9.1

Post by Ryan » December 15th, 2010, 11:23 pm

The save file should still be in the same location! :)

Bear in mind though that if you're using Windows Vista or above, Windows will store saved information in a "virtual" shadow folder in your user directory rather than in the game's directory itself (actually a rather clever idea, but in typical Microsoft style, poorly and irritatingly implemented). If that's the case, you should find it somewhere like:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AFTERLIFE_DIRECTORY\ADat\Sav
Oh, and because we're in Microsoft's slightly deranged world, it may also be a "hidden" directory, in which case you'll need to enable viewing hidden files to see it.

Ryan

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Re: Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.9.1

Post by Qabach » December 17th, 2010, 2:32 am

Thank you very much. I am using Windows 7 and was completely unaware of that tidbit.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Realm of Quicksand Act 1

Post by greybeard2012 » September 4th, 2012, 1:24 am

POSS. SPOILERS

I hate asking for help with any game and doubt there will be anybody here to help but this has been annoying me for several weeks.

I've been trying to Perfect the first act in Realm of Quicksand 'Anubis' Palace' on Hard and Suicide. I had no trouble doing so on Easy and Normal or just completing it on Hard and Suicide but I can not find the extra(?) balloon there must, or at least should, be to be able to Perfect it.

There are four balloons hidden behind the pillars and one in the pit bottom right, same as Easy and Normal but unlike those you don't get the Perfect Tick/Check after you pick them up. This indicates there is a sixth balloon to find. But where?

The obvious place is the second pit next to the flame bucket, bottom left, but when I drop in there - nothing. I've bombed every wall, floor and ceiling tile in the place, used the umbrella to check behind the other flame buckets, looked for other pits (including the exit room), found and checked the alternative route to the skull 'switch' room and looked for hidden wall and ceiling recesses. No joy.

Any help appreciated.

BTW great 'little' game this, being playing it in my spare time for months, far more entertaining than some of the more recent mainstream games I've played this year.

*starshine*
Playtester
Playtester

Re: Realm of Quicksand Act 1

Post by *starshine* » September 9th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Hi greybeard.

This question intrigued me so I went back to my old Afterlife 1 save file this afternoon and tried to find the answer for you... I've got to say, I'm baffled, I can't find the last balloon either on suicide or hard mode - like you, I've already got perfects on easy and medium.

I'll keep trying though, and hopefully will find an answer for you - let me know if you find it first! :)

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » September 9th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the nice comments - really glad to hear you're enjoying the game. :)

Anyway, out of curiosity, I've just had a look at this level myself, and I couldn't find it either... So I opened up my editor to have a look, and was somewhat surprised to find that there's a balloon on this Act that, as far as I can make out, is impossible to collect.

Now, as plenty of people here have already achieved 100% Perfects for the entire game, I can only assume that this extra balloon must have sneaked into the Act erroneously in the most recent update (though I really can't think how that would have happened).

So... I've now removed the impossible balloon, and will release an update with this fixed fairly soon so you can get the Perfect for the Act. I was planning to release a small update to the game with some minor tweaks after the release of Afterlife 3 anyway as it happens, but I wasn't expecting to include any bug fixes like this!

Thanks a lot for finding and posting, anyway. :)

Ryan

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 » September 12th, 2012, 1:48 am

Thanks for the responses and info. This has been bothering me so long and I'm glad it wasn't just me being thick.
Look foward to the corrected update.