How much?

Talk about game development and programming, and let people know about your own projects!
Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

How much?

Post by Qabach » January 27th, 2006, 4:43 am

Just wondering (@RJB) about how much time you spend working on this site and the software that goes on it? Is it just a hobby that you might put a few minutes into here and there, or is it a bigger deal to you?
The reason I ask is because your programs are well-made and you seem to update fairly often, so i'm wondering how much effort it is on your end. Also, I plan to do some things like this in the future, and it's interresting to know a bit about other peoples' experience with it.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » January 27th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Good question. :)

I do put a very large amount of time and work into RjB Software, because I love writing games, and that's what they require. To try and measure it would be difficult, since different games require different levels of commitment to produce, and I tend to work at different rates during different parts of production, but for examples, neither of the Orbital Snake games took any more than about a week to write, whereas I spent almost a year on the first release of Afterlife... And as for a monstrous project like Evowok Breeder, we'll just have to see!

Having said that, my style of working tends to be fairly fast, due to the fact that I generally spend huge chunks of time working solidly at things until they're finished, and allow my projects to dominate my thoughts for 90% of my waking time!

But that's just me, of course. :)

Different people work at different rates, and it's certainly possible to work on games without quite the level of commitment I put in! If you do think that writing games is something you want to do, my advice to you is simply to have a go; you'll soon find out whether you're the kind of person who has the perseverence and love of your art to be able to bring a project to fruition. So long as you continue to love what you're making, you will find the time, no matter how busy you think you are (or how much you think you need sleep by the early hours of the morning!)

One piece of advice I'll give, though, is that the best thing to do when starting off writing games is to start with something very small and simple, and gradually work on larger and larger projects. In my experience, game programming is a medium in which, more so than in any other I can think of, the experience you gain from smaller projects is often vital in order to overcome obstacles in larger ones, because little games give you a platform to be very experimental with coding techniques without messing anything up. To start work on a larger project without a lot of confidence in your idea of how you intend it to work is likely to make things very difficult for yourself.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

Ryan
Last edited by Ryan on July 28th, 2006, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi » January 27th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Cool. Well, since we are all helping one another, how about heading on over to my VB.NET games thread, Ryan, someone should answer a few of those questions...;).

And one more question about RjB: What is your host, and how much do you pay?

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » January 27th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Aloshi wrote:Cool. Well, since we are all helping one another, how about heading on over to my VB.NET games thread, Ryan, someone should answer a few of those questions...;).
I'm afraid I've never used VB.NET, so I wouldn't be much use for answering questions on it. From what I've heard, it's a much more unwieldy dialect than plain VB, is more limited in several respects (most infamously, of course, its lack of support for nested routines using GOSUB) and has some major disadvantages, like the fact that programs written in it require a massive "framework" to be downloaded in order to run.
Aloshi wrote:And one more question about RjB: What is your host, and how much do you pay?
Streamline Net. Their prices are listed at their site, and I'd certainly recommend them.

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » January 27th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Yeah, I'm also pretty obsessive when I get into something. It's usually something mind-numbingly boring (like coding) that nobody else would even touch, but I guess I just like tedious things.

My main programming experience is in Java. I only know how to do things through the console right now, so I don't know how to handle graphics or anything realtime. I hope to find out some of that stuff sometime soon, we'll see.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi » January 28th, 2006, 1:27 pm

From what I've heard, it's a much more unwieldy dialect than plain VB, is more limited in several respects (most infamously, of course, its lack of support for nested routines using GOSUB) and has some major disadvantages, like the fact that programs written in it require a massive "framework" to be downloaded in order to run.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that is very true. I dom't even know how to make a calculator...I tried, and it said 1+1 was 11...:lol:

Will
Makes Useless Posts

Post by Will » January 28th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Hahahaha gosub
-Will

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » January 28th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I don't really know anything about VB, but it sounds like you were treating numbers like words (called strings in Java)
-Stephen Hawking

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz » February 2nd, 2006, 12:57 am

I'm currently trying to make something with SWISHmax, a Flash-based movie making software. I'm not sure if it can make any games though, but since N, one of the best platformers ever made, was made with Flash, then I *might* be able to make something.
"In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well, they can, but it's
really muffled."