Qabach's Java Junk

Talk about game development and programming, and let people know about your own projects!
Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Qabach's Java Junk

Post by Qabach » February 5th, 2006, 2:43 am

READ THIS FIRST:
I've decided to start writing a few games in Java and posting them here.
Java is typically not installed on computers when you buy them, so if you want to run Java applications, you have to have the Java Runtime Environment. If you don't think you have it, you can find it at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. There should be several download links centered on this page. click on "Download JRE..." and then choose your operating system, accept the license agreement, and install the product.
This all may sound like a pain, but Java is designed to work on different operating systems without having to change all of the code (This means my games won't be windows-specific). Once you've installed Java on your computer, you should never have to do it again (unless you try to use some software written using some new content from a future release of Java. This is unlikely unless you download a lot of cutting-edge programs written in Java.)
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » February 5th, 2006, 2:47 am

NEW PROJECT:
The first game I am working on is a simple text adventure, inspired partially by the Zork games. It will be called "Get Out!" and the goal will be to...umm...get out. It will probably be much more simplistic than other games of its type, since it's my first game and i'm doing it from scratch (on my own) but I'm hoping it will be entertaining for at least a few minutes. :)
So far, I have not done a whole lot. I am currently working on a "map builder" which will read the map file and create a game world based on that.
Next up on the list, a parser to read what the player types in and try to make some sense of it.
Last edited by Qabach on February 9th, 2006, 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.”
-Stephen Hawking

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz » February 5th, 2006, 8:57 am

"Get Out" from what?
"In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well, they can, but it's
really muffled."

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » February 5th, 2006, 10:22 am

The place you're in. I don't know, i'm working on all that plot stuff as I go along. For now, I just need to get a shell going and getting to the "end room" seems like a good goal.
-Stephen Hawking

Dalboz
Magic Number 180
Magic Number 180

Post by Dalboz » February 5th, 2006, 4:16 pm

need ideas?
"In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well, they can, but it's
really muffled."

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » February 5th, 2006, 11:42 pm

I'm ok for now. I mostly need to get the programming part done. I'm setting it up in a way that allows "level editing" (this includes plot editing) by way of modifying the map text file, I just need to get the whole thing working and then I'll start writing the file. I have a rudimentary file made just to test some different things, like using an item and losing it, using an item and changing another, that kind of thing.
-Stephen Hawking

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi » February 6th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Cool. Well, you might need to like encrypt it or else you could cheat... a lot...on scond thought, leave it! :P

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » February 6th, 2006, 10:10 pm

As is, the whole thing would be packaged into a JAR. I may change it so that everything just gets unzipped into a folder, but that depends on if I'm able to set up an "executable" type of situation with that. I think I'll be able to do it by having you double click a batch file.
-Stephen Hawking

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » February 9th, 2006, 8:19 am

UPDATE:
I sat down and wrote the map reader just now. (when I first said that I was working on it, I actually hadn't started, but I'd worked out basically how the map file would be written) I think that it's working as intended, although I haven't gone to the trouble of testing whether or not the object interractions are set up right. Next up is writing the parser. This should be interesting :P

Current length of code: 233 lines (counting blank spaces used for aesthetics)
-Stephen Hawking

Aloshi
Magic Number 400
Magic Number 400

Post by Aloshi » March 30th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Hows it comming? I'm downloading Java now...

Qabach
Star Player!
Star Player!

Post by Qabach » April 1st, 2006, 11:29 pm

Haha, I've been lazy and busy for the past month or so, and I haven't actually worked on it much at all. I need to do that.
-Stephen Hawking