StarGun XGII was a great part of my childhood

A place for new or existing members to say hello and introduce themselves, and a good place to make a first post if you've just joined!
Shawn

StarGun XGII was a great part of my childhood

Post by Shawn » June 1st, 2013, 2:17 pm

Hi there, I'm Shawn, and I'm here because StarGun XGII was a great part of my childhood. I played it for sooooooo long back in the day (7 or 8 years ago), and kept playing, and so did my younger brother. I was into it for at least a year or two or much more, I wish I could remember. It was so fun, sometimes two of our friends who used to live across the street came over and played it.

So how I came across it back then was that one day my dad bought this CD called "1000 Games" from a retailer, and one of the games in it was StarGun XGII. I'd say that it easily became my favourite out of the lot once I found the gem.

Some old games I used to love to play (like Kraisoft's space shooting games, Axysoft's Axysnake, and such) have been on my mind lately, and so was StarGun XGII. I put in a copy of the "1000 Games" CD that I had, and although it was scratched, it had most of the data intact thankfully, and I ran the StarGun XGII installer file, and I think that I got the most intense nostalgia that I've ever had. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to play it with the music (although the SFX worked, and the jukebox too), and I'm not sure but I think that I encountered this problem at some times in the past, but I remember that most of the time it worked. I will be sure to try it on my old computer soon because the music is such a nice part of the experience (and nostalgia :)).

Upon further examination, I realised that the music files were MIDIs and the sound files were WAVs, and I have to say... such amazing composition with the MIDIs! I couldn't help but leave tracks like "Space Police" or "Cruisin' and Killin' ~ Sweat Slick Joystick" playing on repeat whilst just laying down and remembering the old times, I was doing that for so long that I even went to sleep whilst doing that, and my sleep was kind of restless (thankfully too... as it allowed me to have a more conscious experience of what is about to follow in the next sentence), and about a third of the way through I woke up and turned off the music. What happened then was that when I went back to sleep, now a deeper sleep, I had an amazing dreaming heavily inspired by the nostalgia, it was such a super nice experience (regardless of the profound sadness caused by the nostalgia).

The nostalgia has somewhat calmed down, but when I play the game it will surely spike up again. One thing that troubles me the most about nostalgia is when you don't have anyone or many people to share it with or when the game is not very popular. My brother will probably find out that I've been indulging in nostalgia though (as he did with AxySnake, and Kraisoft's space shooting games), or I'll tell him.

Oh yes, THANK YOU SO MUCH RYAN BURY FOR MAKING STARGUN XGII :D

Ryan
RjB Software

Re: StarGun XGII was a great part of my childhood

Post by Ryan » June 2nd, 2013, 12:55 am

Wow, thank you - I made those games a very long time ago (I was in highschool myself at the time), so it's a little nostalgic for me looking back on them too. And thanks for the kind words on the soundtrack as well - have you played any of my more recent games? Some of the music from the StarGun games makes a reappearance in the Afterlife series. ;)

Actually, I also spotted recently that someone's uploaded a lot of those tunes to YouTube, which is quite cool (here - and also including my themetune from Noctis, which was included due to a cheat allowing the game to be played as a Stardrifter!)

The inclusion of the game on the disc you mentioned is news to me, by the way. It seems maybe a little sad that someone was profiting from selling discs of games that were freely available to download on the web, without so much as notifying the authors, but I suppose it's nice that they chose to include something of mine, and you enjoyed it as a result.

Anyway, thanks for all the really kind comments, and welcome to the forum! :)

Ryan

Battlefinger

Post by Battlefinger » April 30th, 2014, 12:36 pm

So I know this post is like a year old or something, but I wanted to express pretty much the same sentiment. Thing is, I stumbled upon the game the same way, from an extremely cheap disc called "1000 games for windows" or something along those lines. Definitely one of the better games on the disc, and the music of that game? A total dream. If that's the level you were composing at during highschool, I'm more than impressed.

I have done a little digging on where I got the game, apparently the company is sort of australia-specific, called Nodtronics I think. Turns out the majority of the games on that disc were just downloaded with 0 modifications (still full credit to authors I guess, but the 100% should have notified anyone of the use of their game, free or not) and half the games still required registration, or were just demos and such. Disappointing company I guess.

Still, I had a real blast with Stargun, I don't think I ever actually beat the final boss (I think I was about to finish primary school at the time) but I made it to him a few times. I still have the midis in my music library to this day, Space Police always brings a smile when it comes on ;)

Out of curiosity, what do you currently use to develop games? I used gamemaker for a while, initially just for prototyping but now I use it for making full games just because of how fast you can make stuff with it. Have you ever been interested in collaborating with anyone?

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » May 1st, 2014, 3:28 am

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments - and welcome to the forum. :)

You know, I think I might actually still have all of the StarGun games buried away in a zip file somewhere - maybe I should consider digging those out and posting them here sometime? Sadly, I don't even have copies of some of my earliest games. There was a platformer I wrote in QB when I was about 13 called Stick You which I'd love to try playing again.

By the way, have you played Afterlife 3? A version of Space Police also makes an appearance there. :)
Battlefinger wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you currently use to develop games? I used gamemaker for a while, initially just for prototyping but now I use it for making full games just because of how fast you can make stuff with it.
Believe it or not, all of my current games are written and compiled in VB6! Evowok Breeder will almost certainly be the last before I move onto a different platform though. I've experimented with GM a few times, but haven't made anything especially releasable with it yet. It's always seemed a little unstable when I've played with it - but that might just be because I run quite a low-spec system, so maybe I'll give it another go next time I upgrade my hardware. I certainly like the idea of using something like GM for my next project though.
Battlefinger wrote:Have you ever been interested in collaborating with anyone?
Is that a question or a proposition? :P

I've been working with Sjoerd (the game's graphic artist) on Evowok Breeder for quite a few years now, and I've occasionally started projects with other devs (there was a 3D StarGun sequel that was in development at one point, I remember, which could have been quite cool), but nothing that's ever seen the light of day, for one reason or another. I'd certainly be open to a collaboration if it was a cool project... But then, what I think is a cool project might not be to everyone's taste. ;)

Ryan