Cruciform in the Hidden Garden Zone

General discussion about Afterlife: Rickard's Quest and a place to share your replays, and seek or offer hints, tips and help. Please use the [spoiler] tag where appropriate!
greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Cruciform in the Hidden Garden Zone

Post by greybeard2012 » September 12th, 2012, 1:48 am

Can somebody please explain to me how to collect the Cruciform in the Hidden Garden Zone without seemingly being permanently stuck in the room where it is under the statue. I have all the others but I've been redoing it without success.

If it is possible to double jump off the walls I've not managed it with hundreds of tries. I do know it is theoretically possible to get out to complete the level but it requires the floating skull things to descend en masse and a huge amount of luck that you'll be bounced upwards and out. If you mess it up the skulls eventually get stuck outside and they'll never attack again in sufficient numbers to try this technique again.

It struck me that this method of collecting this Cruciform is so unusually difficult I must have missed something else. But I can't think what. Any help/hints appreciated.

Ryan
RjB Software

Re: Cruciform in the Hidden Garden Zone

Post by Ryan » September 15th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Actually, you're on the right track with the technique of using the skulls - but the way to do it is to use "combo jumps" (rather than chance) to escape from the chamber.

If you can get into the chamber and collect the Cruciform before killing the wraiths which teleport in the skulls (so that you have a steady stream of skulls to use), you can then shepherd the skulls into the entrance-way by moving around inside the chamber, and once the first is in reach, kill it with the DHU. Having made a kill, you can then drop from the DHU using the attack key, realign yourself, and make a second (mid-air) umbrella jump to either exit or kill the next skull, and so-forth until you reach the exit.

As a bonus, combo jumping is also a very good way to accrue mana. ;)

Ryan

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 » September 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Thank you so much for explaining the technique. Usually I was so annoyed by the Wraiths, who caused me trouble in other levels too, I'd kill them off as early as possible. But when I realised the potential of the skulls and preserved them still ended up with dozens of skulls seemingly stuck on the stepped landscape. Even when they did find their way down it was always in dribs and drabs and all I seemed to be able to do is get bounced off the walls rather than up.

So I was on the right track just the execution was a bit off. Just hope I can do it. Knowing my luck I'll get out and jump straight into the flaming pillar. :)

EDIT:-

Excellent I have now managed to collect the Cruciform and get out again. Even after perfecting 300+ levels what I hadn't understood previously was that after killing an enemy by HU jump a quick click on the Attack key whilst still airborne would allow RB to HU jump again to attain the necessary extra height. It still requires good timing and additional technique to get out successfully but it turned out to be far easier than I thought.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT2:-

Finally Perfected all 400 acts, yay! Still the additional missions to do and the Act editor to play with but I think I'll leave them for now.

One thing I wanted to say, apart from thanks for such a good game, is I found many of the Hard difficulty missions far harder than the Suicide difficulty ones. It was the last one left I hadn't perfected but it took me countless retries to perfect the tough, 'cheatful' Wraith Djin boss on Hard, Whilst Suicide wasn't at all easy it was notably easier than Hard. When I finally did for him I felt that sense of accomplishment but also adenaline fuelled relief only well judged games can give you.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » April 13th, 2016, 11:14 am

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed playing. :)

Ryan