Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.10

News and updates about Afterlife: Rickard's Quest - please post any version-specific feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas or bug-reports in the appropriate (or latest) release thread here!
Ryan
RjB Software

Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.10

Post by Ryan » September 19th, 2012, 11:00 am

Following the release last week of Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson, it seemed about time to release an update to Afterlife: Rickard's Quest to fix and correct several minor issues and bugs which have been sitting in my notes for some time (including one which actually made a Perfect grade impossible for one Act - thanks to greybeard2012 for finding!)

The version 1.10 update also includes some minor graphical improvements (Rickard looks a little more like he does in the other two games, and no longer wears those inexplicable yellow trousers), text tweaks (most notably, the Realms are now described correctly, and using their wraith - rather than human - names), and some minor coding improvements which should make the game run more smoothly on all systems - plus, the game also now includes an update notification feature which will be familiar to those of you also au courant with Orbital Snake and Afterlife 3.

Full version history is, as always, available here, and the updated game can be downloaded here.

Have fun - and as always, please post below with any comments or questions related to this update. :)

Ryan

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Re: Afterlife: Rickard's Quest version 1.10

Post by greybeard2012 » September 19th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Thanks for this and all your efforts in general.

Just downloaded the updated game but not installed it yet.

I've had a lot of entertainment from playing this in my spare time over the last year but look foward to being finally able to finish it properly.

EDIT:-

I installed it and after a few mistakes perfected Anubis' Temple on Suicide mode without the previous missing balloon problem.

However I think there might still be some issue with the level on Hard. I've played and replayed it four times times earlier today and I still couldn't perfect it.

EDIT

I've realised now that the criteria on Hard is that to perfect it you mustn't receive any damage at all. Has this been changed?
I ask because I'd swear that before I substituted my original version with v.1.10 that levels could be perfected too on Hard/Normal/Easy just so long as RB had his health restored to full if he'd received damage by finding all the balloons. If it has always required zero damage I must have done 60+ levels on Hard, successfully perfected, not understanding this.

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Post by Grave_mire » May 3rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

You wasted renamed the region, they are so called from the moment of creation of the game! Very many generations played, when realms force were the names of those, and you took them, and in one second renamed. So you can not do, you know, it is impossible. You later said. Will have to return everything as it was.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » May 3rd, 2013, 10:36 pm

Sorry greybeard2012 - only just spotted your edits!
greybeard2012 wrote: I've realised now that the criteria on Hard is that to perfect it you mustn't receive any damage at all. Has this been changed?
I ask because I'd swear that before I substituted my original version with v.1.10 that levels could be perfected too on Hard/Normal/Easy just so long as RB had his health restored to full if he'd received damage by finding all the balloons. If it has always required zero damage I must have done 60+ levels on Hard, successfully perfected, not understanding this.
You're quite correct (and it's listed in the game changelog):
  • A Perfect grade can now only be achieved when no damage has been taken during an Act.
I think (as did a lot of players) that the previous system of allowing perfects to be achieved by collecting a balloon at the last moment made things a little over-easy. ;)
greybeard2012 wrote: Thanks for this and all your efforts in general.
Thank you - it's appreciated. :)

Edit:
Grave_mire wrote: ...
Um, I'm afraid that I don't understand quite what you're trying to say?

Ryan

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Afterlife - last touches

Post by Grave_mire » July 6th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Afterlife - my favorite game, I her longtime fan. I finally in the hell is forever could update it. The new version I liked it, too.
But soon I noticed that the game continues used, although it is so good.
I think that it is time to create the latest update.
Too long I was preparing this list, a list of all the shortcomings of the game, and I believe that he is ready. The first error is pretty significant, and I am very surprised that she was a nobody noticed, and still not fixed. The error consists in that if in some area is not open all levels, then pressing 0 will be selected 10 of the act, even if he is not open.
The second mistake: if suicide is not already opened and in training press 0 when the selection of the act of 6 to 10, then if you include any other (not training!) level, he will be active in the mode of suicide.
The following items cannot be called bugs bugs.
In the final quest in order to open the finish is not necessarily kill the enemies. To do so it was necessary.
You need to return the prize super bullets.
In level editor to return those enemies that were removed.
In training you need to put something else, not the realm of technodeath, because training pad zone realm of hell.
On firestone crusiform need to normal.
You need to return the old name of the realms (this is obligatory).
When you select level at the top of the нвписаны job. You need to perform a certain task, remained at the top of the record.
The murder of green spook in simple mode should appear 1 kid, in the normal 2 complex 3 and suicide 4.
To return Ricardo black eye.
In own levels and in the records when you press r to put the possibility of replay.
You need to rename some of the enemies.
Practice target is a Moving target practice
Grey bull spook - Horned grey spook
Green bull spook - Horned green spook
Grey ballrog calf - Baby ballrog
Cyclops - Eyestone
White defender -King defender
Grave flower - Blood rose
Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October - Left Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October
Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October - Right Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October
Pixie flower - Blue star-flower
Pixie flower - Purple star-flower
Pixie flower - Red star-flower

Ryan
RjB Software

Re: Afterlife - last touches

Post by Ryan » July 6th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Grave_mire wrote:Afterlife - my favorite game, I her longtime fan.
Thanks - that's always very nice to hear! :)

I'm afraid your English is rather difficult to follow, but I'll do my best to respond...
Grave_mire wrote: The first error is pretty significant, and I am very surprised that she was a nobody noticed, and still not fixed. The error consists in that if in some area is not open all levels, then pressing 0 will be selected 10 of the act, even if he is not open.
I think I've understood this part enough to find the bug you're talking about; and you're completely correct: this is quite a silly bug, and I really shouldn't have let it slip through. I'll try to fix it in an update shortly. Thanks for reporting! :)
Grave_mire wrote: The second mistake: if suicide is not already opened and in training press 0 when the selection of the act of 6 to 10, then if you include any other (not training!) level, he will be active in the mode of suicide.
That's also a very silly little bug, and again, thanks for letting me know. This will be fixed in the update too. :)
Grave_mire wrote: In level editor to return those enemies that were removed.
Ah, you're talking about some of the enemies which aren't currently available in the level editor, presumably? Well, there were a few enemies which I've removed from the unlockable editor simply because their behaviours and/or requirements make their inclusion in a level for which they were not designed very likely buggy (and potentially seriously so). In order to include them in the editor, I'd have to add new behaviour handlers for those scenarios, which I'm afraid would be fairly non-trivial. I'd certainly give it some consideration if there was wide call for it, but as it is, you're the first to mention this.
Grave_mire wrote: You need to return the old name of the realms (this is obligatory).
Are you referring to the update in recent versions to use the wraith (rather than human) names for the Realms? This was something I decided to do in order to make sure that the naming convention was accurate and consistent across games.

(I'd quite like to also include the wraith runes for the Zones as well, ala Afterlife 3 actually - perhaps I'll add those in the update too?) :)
Grave_mire wrote: The murder of green spook in simple mode should appear 1 kid, in the normal 2 complex 3 and suicide 4.
Ah, now that would be a little obvious, no? :P

As things currently stand, two spook puppies are released when killing a pregnant spook in the Easy difficulty, and three in higher difficulties.
Grave_mire wrote: You need to rename some of the enemies.
Practice target is a Moving target practice
Grey bull spook - Horned grey spook
Green bull spook - Horned green spook
Grey ballrog calf - Baby ballrog
Cyclops - Eyestone
White defender -King defender
Grave flower - Blood rose
Pixie flower - Blue star-flower
Pixie flower - Purple star-flower
Pixie flower - Red star-flower
Um, I'm not sure why I'd want to rename any of the enemies (especially to less accurate descriptions)? :?

Or have I misunderstood?
Grave_mire wrote: In the final quest in order to open the finish is not necessarily kill the enemies. To do so it was necessary.
You need to return the prize super bullets.
[...]
In training you need to put something else, not the realm of technodeath, because training pad zone realm of hell.
On firestone crusiform need to normal.
[...]
When you select level at the top of the нвписаны job. You need to perform a certain task, remained at the top of the record.
To return Ricardo black eye.
In own levels and in the records when you press r to put the possibility of replay.
[...]
Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October - Left Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October
Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October - Right Alexis Yakovlev Monday, October
I'm afraid I just don't understand your English (or indeed Cyrillic) well enough to guess at your meaning with these points. :|

Ryan

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Post by Grave_mire » July 7th, 2013, 8:01 am

I do not understand why you had to change the names of realms, but I wish you would bring back the old names. The game has been created, and simply change the name - does not.

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Post by Grave_mire » July 7th, 2013, 8:32 am

Video
:) :D :giggle:

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » July 7th, 2013, 9:54 am

Grave_mire wrote:I do not understand why you had to change the names of realms, but I wish you would bring back the old names. The game has been created, and simply change the name - does not.
The names haven't changed - they've simply been clarified using the wraith terminology (as also used by the Brotherhood) rather than the hellraiders' colloquial names - in much the same way that in earlier versions of the game, only a Realm name was listed, but now both Zone and Realm information is given. You'll notice that various other small text and naming convention changes and clarifications have been made in successive versions of all three games to keep up as the setting has evolved. :)
Grave_mire wrote:Video
:) :D :giggle:
Ha, thanks - that certainly shows the bug in action! As it is, I've now already found and fixed this issue, so that should be corrected in an update over the next few days. Do let me know if you find anything else that needs to be fixed before then. :)

Ryan

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Post by Grave_mire » July 10th, 2013, 1:54 pm

That is to say old name remained? But possible do so that their has possible changed by means of option?

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan » July 11th, 2013, 1:07 am

Grave_mire wrote:That is to say old name remained? But possible do so that their has possible changed by means of option?
Well, there doesn't really seem to be any necessity for additional information in the Zone selection screen, especially as the first game doesn't really elaborate to any great extent on the wider setting or story. There will probably be some more background detail on the Zones in a further game in the series though. :)

Ryan