Main freak

General discussion about Afterlife 3: Legends Of Rickard Bronson and a place to share hints, tips and help with other players. Please use the [spoiler] tag where appropriate!
Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Main freak

Post by Grave_mire »

Immediately you dialect - I russian so if that shall write not so, do not think there what or.
I am a furious fan afterlife, and so 3 parts I waited much powerfully. But she has not justified my hopes!
And the first defect - are not saved achievements!
I fire fortress zone passed with big labour, and has finally fallen into the second chapter as suddenly on I have swooped some freak and has shaved off. And all! All on blow! Here is then that I and has wanted to send here this letter.
As I offer to solve this problem. Menu of the choice level must be shown At choice adventure. No, acts must not be possible to choose, choose it is necessary zones. And I think it is necessary to return the yellow marks. To its get (on zone certainly) it is necessary to collect determined a lot of ball, money and pass the zone for determined a lot of time. The Following: during pause there is such point: leave. And when leave the level on blow! Here, it is necessary to put so that when entering in menu of the choice of the zone there was a badge to continue. And I think that under Training too must be a possibility of the choice level, but there will only Training and continue. In general, write I this to as nor be rescue this play, but come to acknowledge - was got not ocheni. :-(

*starshine*
Playtester
Playtester

Re: Main freak

Post by *starshine* »

Um... Not 100% sure if this what you're asking, but if you can choose to start the game from a particular zone once you've completed it 4 times. And you can choose to replay an act using the code for that act. Hope that helps.

Grave_mire
Magic Number 40
Magic Number 40

Post by Grave_mire »

I have already gone through frostbite, and learned there is, however, still want to say that the 3 part of the game has not met anybody's hopes. The fact is that no one will not suffer in trying to complete the game, that's all. 3 part considerably reduced the credibility of this game.

*starshine*
Playtester
Playtester

Post by *starshine* »

Err... sorry, still not sure I understand. But on the Achievements page you can see the % of the game complete, if that's what you're looking for...

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 »

What he is saying, I think, is that a series of unnecessary gameplay changes have been made which far from enhancing the entertainment have come close to ruining it.

I downloaded this only a few days ago after I finally switched to broadband making the download feasible. Loved Afterlife 1 and 2 and spent many sessions perfecting the acts in both. Very satisfying gameplay and I was hoping for more of the same. But no, the introduction of that game designer favourite but almost every gamers idea of hell: forced repetition of dungeons/temples/rooms you've complete a multitude of times. All done just to get back to the point you failed and often were meant to fail. Then you fail again and the process repeats. How can anyone not realise that beyond a certain point this sucks most of the fun out of the game?

It's old school gameplay design but one that should have but hasn't been buried long ago.

My point is and I think the OP's too is that there was nothing wrong with the systems used in Afterlife I/2 so why change it?

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 »

Please forgive me for being critical about a freeware game particularly one that is so technically polished and obviously had much work put into it. However after several sessions play since my last post I feel the need to say more.

Afterlife 3 might be good for a quick randomly generated dungeon blast but as an adventure it fails simply because of design decisions which make any progress stupidly difficult. There are some new, good ideas which have been added to evolve the gameplay from the two previous Afterlife titles but they're wasted because of this. I doubt many people will ever be bothered or able to get beyond the second zone.

If you could save your position/coins/balloon upgrades/traits etc at the end of each completed act or at the very least the start of each zone the game would be transformed and likely become as enjoyably playable as Afterfile 1 and 2 were. I can see doing that would create the need for some balancing so that it didn't become too easy but wouldn't just making the upgrades, traits, and ammo more expensive be a simple solution?

As it is I just can't motivate myself even want to try and progress any further than I've managed. When you know that at any point you're just a couple of mistakes away from being sent back to the start of the whole game and a boss fight is almost certainly going to do that more than once whatever the case, it completely drains your enthusiasm.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

Hmm. I feel I ought to post something here.

Firstly, I'm really glad that you liked the first two games enough to feel the need to post - that's always very, very nice to hear. :)

But I wonder if you've maybe not quite understood the way that Afterlife 3 is meant to work? (And if so, perhaps that's my fault for not making it clearer in the game...?)

The notion of the game is that it tells some of the (possibly wildly exaggerated!) stories and rumours of Rickard Bronson's famed exploits and past adventures, while giving some further background on the setting of the first two games. It's very much intended to be an arcade-style roguelike, in the sense that every level and combination of missions and objectives is randomly generated and therefore different for each game, with the overall goal not being to "complete" a single narrative, but simply to tell a different story each time you play (and aim for a high score in the process!) - but that isn't to say that there aren't objectives to complete; there are lots of things which can achieved through playing the game which unlock new abilities, items and advantages to help in successive adventures (not to mention extra game modes!) - and that's the spirit in which the game is meant to be played in the long-term, gradually expanding on the parts of the game which have been unlocked to get further into each adventure, explore new secrets and achieve higher scores. :)

In many ways, the game could be considered something of a "roguelike mode" of Afterlife: Rickard's Quest, filling in some more background and depth of character to Rickard and his reasons for being the main character in that game. Aside from anything else, the original Afterlife already has over a hundred set levels based on that style of gameplay, and I'd not have a huge amount of interest in simply making another hundred levels in the same style rather than exploring new gameplay ideas (you'll notice that the first two games already have very different styles of structure and gameplay, for the same reason).

I still consider it to be open to further improvement and expansion (and I'm very aware that there's still a lot of room for improvement in some places!), but I really do think that Afterlife 3 is possibly the game I'm most pleased with of the series so far, and actually in many respects the game that the first Afterlife game could have been had I been technically skilled enough to make it at the time - I certainly hope I haven't made any of the game's design choices out of laziness! The procedurally-generated nature of the game allows for an amount of content and depth that would be almost impossible to include in a game with set levels. If the roguelike nature of the game just isn't your thing at all, then I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest; but I hope that if you try playing the game without expecting it to be another Afterlife: Rickard's Quest, perhaps you might enjoy it a little more than you were expecting. :)

Ryan

PS: There are already some very good Afterlife 3 players on these forums (as quiet as things are here at the moment!), so please feel very welcome to post for advice here if you're stuck with anything or need help (or if you think you have some of your own advice for other players, for that matter!) - and also, as I mentioned above, I'm always very open to further constructive suggestions and new ideas for the game too, should you have any ideas you'd like to suggest. :)

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 »

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the game is meant to be a more arcade like experience than the previous games, that's kind of obvious and perhaps the crux of the problem I have with it. You've provided all the things necessary for an action adventure even better than in the previous games, more weapon types, traits and balloon upgrades, it is almost RPG-ish in that respect.

But the trouble is that except for the most dedicated player Rickard is never going to get to use most of those abilities and enhancements because being made with a more arcade experience in mind the game is going to end time and time again before he's even out of the first zone.

For me randomly generated acts don't make working through a zone much more interesting than a fixed design. IMHO it removes some of the strategy elements which in the previous games was so important when trying to perfect an act. Worse their random nature can't be thoroughly play tested; particularly if Rickard loses the balloon it is possible to get into a position it is impossible to resolve. On occasions when I've lost the balloon in the previous act and couldn't afford to replace I'd swear I'd had a start position impossible to progress from or exit points impossible to reach without a balloon.

That may be the whole idea, and it isn't new one either. In previous games there similar were places but you knew not to go there. Here the random generation means that isn't an option. Rickard has to quit and fail that act but there's nothing to stop that happening in the replacement mission either. It makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time and you might as well restart.

As for the scoring system it really doesn't seem to make much sense to me. You appear to be graded on how much money you had left when Rickard dies. Yet the game generates acts with varying amounts of money each time, varying amounts to be collected as mission objectives and varying difficulty, size, layout and even boss fights meaning that the time bonus becomes random too. If you're not comparing like for like doesn't that flaw the competitive arcade aspect?

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

greybeard2012 wrote:On occasions when I've lost the balloon in the previous act and couldn't afford to replace I'd swear I'd had a start position impossible to progress from or exit points impossible to reach without a balloon.
This is, I'm afraid, occasionally true, and that's something I would like to fix in later versions (it's simply problematic because the level generation algorithms would have to consider so many different possibilities in terms of moves and equipment at Rickard's disposal). However, it's very rare for this to be the case in most Zones (including Fire Fortress Zone) - there is almost always some form of hidden passage or combination of jumps available to reach the exit.

As a general rule though, keeping a balloon with you at all times is a really good idea until you have some item of equipment which allows more free movement (a Tiara of the Ancients or a Rocket Pack, for example) - it's best to try to keep your balloon safe as much as possible, and repair it if it gets damaged.
greybeard2012 wrote:As for the scoring system it really doesn't seem to make much sense to me. You appear to be graded on how much money you had left when Rickard dies. Yet the game generates acts with varying amounts of money each time, varying amounts to be collected as mission objectives and varying difficulty, size, layout and even boss fights meaning that the time bonus becomes random too. If you're not comparing like for like doesn't that flaw the competitive arcade aspect?
This is an interesting point, because it is something which I do hope is at least fairly balanced. The key is this: an easier level will usually contain less treasure and opportunity to collect mana (from enemies etc.), but will allow you to progress more easily to the next Act with a good reward and time bonus from the Brotherhood (which will increase as you progress further through the game). Conversely, a harder level will usually contain a much greater amount of treasure, items and mana, which will help much more later in the game.

The idea is that the game is relatively easy to progress through by simply spending your accumulated wealth to repair your balloon and restock your ammo, but this will mean your score is therefore lower; but as you become skilled enough to survive for longer without the need to spend money on repairs, your scores will be easier to maintain. However, the balance to this for players good enough to progress further in the game is that rewards and treasure increase drastically in later Chapters, so it's possible to reach a very high level with very little treasure (having spent it all on equipment and repairs), but then be in a position to earn a much higher rate from those levels.

I think that a good rule to play by (at least until you're familiar enough with some of the other aspects of the game) is always to keep yourself alive at all costs, and attempt to reach as high a Chapter as possible in order to reap the benefits of higher rewards.

Also, there are a lot of unlockables which are of fairly major help in reaching further through the game, not to mention the ability to unlock different starting Zones. Keep an eye on your Achievements screen!

Hope that helps. :)

Ryan

greybeard2012
Magic Number 7
Magic Number 7

Post by greybeard2012 »

It does and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Edit:-

I'm still finding the gameplay in this deeply annoying. I've had all manner of annoyances not caused by my incompetence at the game but by things beyond my control. In one instance I had to clear a room of beasts in the sewer zone which required Rickard to go down a pipe in the side wall. Parked the balloon and went down the pipe. Did the business then went back up the pipe and spat out straight into the exit portal. The 2000+ credits I'd just paid for upgrades lost and not enough left to buy a new one.

Here's the real annoyance: next level without a balloon it was another clearance job and the one remaining enemy refused to come down with in range and the time just ran out. Catapault wouldn't have been any good and you simply could climb up to where it was because there weren't any platforms or breakable walls adjacent.

It is still the lack of progression from zone to zone that is the real fun killer for me, I've never been able to progress further than the fourth zone. New randomly generated dungeons in zones you've already played are just no subsitute.

Simply being able to save your progress at the end of each completed zone and the game would be great. Each time you replayed the whole game the randomly generated dungeons would make it a completely new experience on every playthrough giving it fantastic replayability.

Ryan
RjB Software

Post by Ryan »

Ah, sorry for not replying to this sooner - I hadn't noticed that you'd updated your post (I'm aware that it's not the done thing on all forums, but posting a new reply rather than editing a previous post is quite a good idea, as it marks the thread as having new posts). :)
greybeard2012 wrote:It does and thanks for taking the time to reply.
No problem - thanks for playing the game. :)
greybeard2012 wrote:I'm still finding the gameplay in this deeply annoying. I've had all manner of annoyances not caused by my incompetence at the game but by things beyond my control.
A certain amount of this is intentional, as I hope that part of the fun/frustration (depending on outlook!) should be from having to deal with unexpected bad-luck and occasional exceptionally tricky circumstance. Of course there should be balance to this though, and I certainly want to avoid (as much as possible) circumstances which are genuinely unfair...
greybeard2012 wrote:In one instance I had to clear a room of beasts in the sewer zone which required Rickard to go down a pipe in the side wall. Parked the balloon and went down the pipe. Did the business then went back up the pipe and spat out straight into the exit portal. The 2000+ credits I'd just paid for upgrades lost and not enough left to buy a new one.
That's possibly one of those "genuinely unfair" moments I'd like to avoid. ;)

I'll do something to prevent this from happening in the next update (it would just require blocking the portal from appearing directly in the way of a pipe). Thanks for mentioning!
greybeard2012 wrote:Here's the real annoyance: next level without a balloon it was another clearance job and the one remaining enemy refused to come down with in range and the time just ran out. Catapault wouldn't have been any good and you simply could climb up to where it was because there weren't any platforms or breakable walls adjacent.
This, I'm afraid, is very likely always going to be a possibility when entering a level with no means of flight (a balloon, rocket pack, tiara of ancients, etc.) - while a lot of levels are completable on foot, it's still a good idea to always make sure that you have some means of aerial transport for that reason. It's also the reason that the "Fail Act" option exists: if you find yourself stuck in an impossible situation (or even just one which you'd rather avoid...), you can quit the current Act at the expense of a small amount of reputation in order to try a different level.
greybeard2012 wrote:It is still the lack of progression from zone to zone that is the real fun killer for me, I've never been able to progress further than the fourth zone. New randomly generated dungeons in zones you've already played are just no subsitute. Simply being able to save your progress at the end of each completed zone and the game would be great. Each time you replayed the whole game the randomly generated dungeons would make it a completely new experience on every playthrough giving it fantastic replayability.
Hmm. It is possible to start the game from any Zone which you've previously completed four times. :)

(The Achievements screen keeps track of the number of times particular Zones have been completed, as well as other overall game achievements...)

A quick further question: have you tried playing since the new v1.6 updates? I've updated and fixed quite a large number of things to better balance the gameplay and structure, including a lot of changes to make progress through the chapters quicker, and ensure better financial reward - I'd be interested to know what you think. :)

Ryan